This project was made possible with a grant from KNAER.
Project Lead: Patricia Danyluk, George Sheppard, Pamela Toulouse
Toolkit Co-ordinator: Shannon Edmunds
Project Partners: Laurentian University School of Education (English-language), Rainbow District School Board, Sudbury Catholic District School Board, M'Chigeeng First Nation/ Lakeview School
Ministry Priority: Teaching and Learning, Equity, Engagement
The project provided the opportunity to work with our main practice partners: Rainbow District School Board, Sudbury Catholic District School Board, and M'Chigeeng First Nation/ Lakeview School to create six classroom management scenarios that are addressed via current research on best practices. The "Homeroom" video toolkit features the cases of two "virtual" schools with a diverse population of learners.
Our practice partners asked us to develop scenarios around the following classroom management issues:
1. Respect in the Classroom
3. Progressive Discipline
4. Differentiated Instruction
6. Lack of Home Support
Scenarios 1 to 3 take place in a grade nine classroom at Ptarmigan High School. Scenarios 4-6 take place in a grade four classroom at Mystery River Elementary School. The realistic scenarios will include pertinent biographical details about the teachers and students involved some background information about the local community, and a brief overview of the schools. Knowing the setting creates a rich learning environment that allows for critical thinking and discussion about possible solutions.
Each scenario includes:
• A description of the problem/issue/challenge
• A video vignette portraying the problem/issue/challenge
• Discussion questions for teachers/student teachers
• A video vignette of a teacher/actor addressing the problem/issue/challenge based on current research of best practices
• A double-sided page summarizing well-validated research on this particular issue
The toolkit can be used for training student teachers and or for discussion between new and more experienced teachers. The toolkit includes a package that summarizes well-validated research on each classroom management issue.
How to use the videos: The videos require Silverlight software for viewing. The software should load automatically when you click the links.
1. Begin by watching the Introduction to the Toolkit
2. If you would like to watch the high school videos go to the Introduction to Scenarios 1 to 3 Ptarmigan High School
3. Scenario #1 Lack of Respect
4. Scenario #2 Intervention
5. Scenario #3 Progressive Discipline
6. If you would like to watch the elementary school scenarios go to the Introduction to Scenarios 4 to 6 Mystery River Elementary School
7. Scenario #4 Differentiated Instruction
8. Scenario #5 Disruptive/Disengaged
9. Scenario #6 Lack of Home Support
For more information contact Patricia Danyluk at (705) 675-1151 ext. 3208