Laurentian University is home to some of the finest recreational and competitive venues in Ontario. Managed by Voyageur Campus Recreation, quality facilities and programs are offered to the university community, as well as to all residents and visitors of the City of Greater Sudbury.
- Our 7,200-square-foot, air-conditioned training room is fully equipped with cardio, stack and free weight equipment, a warm-up area, and weight lifting platform.
- The training room is open to members 15 years of age and up.
- Proper attire, footwear and etiquette are expected for everyone’s comfort.
- Healthy Living – personal training – 705-671-3865
- The 200-metre track has a resilient cushion floor, offering a safe, year-round training alternative to running outdoors.
- The direction of travel is indicated, as well as designated walking and running lanes to satisfy all levels of track users.
- Clean, indoor shoes are required.
- Cleats are not permitted.
- For squash enthusiasts we offer two international glass-backed courts.
- Members may book a 40-minute court time up to three days ahead.
- Non-members may book a court time one day ahead and will be required to purchase a day pass to play.
- Proper attire and shoes required and eye protection is highly recommended. Racquets, balls, and eye protection are available.
- Squash Court reservations 705-675-1151, ext. 1214.
- The Jeno Tihanyi Olympic Gold Pool is a 50-metre, eight-lane pool specially designed for competitive swimming. Regularly scheduled member swim times allow for everyone to fit a swim into their daily routine.
- We offer swimming lessons for members and the general public from Parent and Tots to National Lifeguard Service and Instructors. Adults seeking either conditioning or a competitive swim program can join the Laurentian Masters Swim Club.
- With diving platforms, diving boards, a variety of play equipment, and designated lanes for lap swimming, the pool is a popular choice for either an individual or families to be active.
Our four, multi-use gymnasiums are designed to accommodate basketball, volleyball, and badminton but other specific activities may be scheduled or considered upon request. During open time, members can generally participate in the activity of their choice. Staff is available to assist with setting up the equipment.
Play outside! Our facilities include a sports stadium with a 400-metre running track, a 200-metre practice track, four tennis courts, nature trails, *Nordic ski trails, playing fields, a beach volleyball court, and a sand beach on Lake Nepahwin which is normally supervised July and August.
*The South Shore Rim Nordic Ski Trail System partnership (includes the campus trails and the Lake Laurentian Conservation Area trails) – All trails are maintained and groomed by the Laurentian Nordic Ski Club which also coordinates the campus programs while the Bioski Cross-Country and Snowshoe Club coordinates program at the Conservation Area trails. www.laurentiannordic.com www.bioski.ca
Play inside! We have a 50-metre Olympic size swimming pool, a 200-metre track, four multi-use gymnasiums, two squash courts, 2 climbing towers, a fully equipped weight/cardio training room, a bouldering cave, meeting and party rooms, lockers, showers, and saunas.
Most of our sport activity areas and rooms are available for rent. You may want to consider renting one of our facilities for your next birthday party, sports team function or school outing.
Programs and clubs
Join us! We offer interest courses, fitness programs and memberships for bouldering, Nordic skiing and masters swimming. A number of independent campus/community sports clubs such as competitive swimming, synchronized swimming and kayaking operate out of our facilities.
www.laurentianmasters.ca www.sudburysynchro.com www.sudburyswimming.ca
- Our two different climbing areas offer a unique experience and fitness alternative.
- Included in your membership - the two eight-metre climbing towers are supervised by trained staff and equipped with an auto-belay system. The hours of use are scheduled and safety equipment is supplied.
- The bouldering cave offers a climbing experience with set routes of different levels of difficulty. An additional fee applies.
- To access lot #13 weekdays before 3 p.m. public fitness members may obtain a parking card by paying a supplementary deposit.
- There is a coin option for lot #13 or parking meters for non-members using the facilities before 3 p.m. on weekdays. Free parking available weekdays after 3 p.m. and weekends.
- Handicap parking is available at the main entrance to the Recreation Centre.