|Language:||English (Some courses are also available in French)|
|Options:||Minor, Concentration, Major, Specialization|
Computer science is the study of the theoretical foundations of information and computation and their implementation and application in computer systems. Computer science spans a wide range, from its theoretical and algorithmic foundations to cutting-edge developments in robotics, computer vision, intelligent systems, bioinformatics and other exciting areas. Computer science has many sub-fields, such as computer organization, software engineering, programming languages, operating systems, networking, information systems and databases, artificial intelligence, computer graphics and human/computer interaction. Theoretical components include computational methods, numerical analysis and theory of computing and also data structures and algorithms.
• Three-year programs lead to a Bachelor of Arts or Science in Computer Science, alone or combined with math or another subject
• The first two years of the program introduce a high-level programming language, discrete mathematical structures, data structures, UNIX operating system, database programming and assembly language
• Upper-year courses cover theory of computer programming languages, computer organization, operating systems, digital design, systems analysis, computer networks, algorithm design and analysis, artificial intelligence, database, computer graphics, software engineering and human-computer interaction
• Coop option (a total of 16 months of paid work) gives practical experience to students and prepares them for their careers
Based on Grade 12 4U/M courses:
• 1 English
• 1 advanced functions
• 1 math (calculus, vectors advised)
• 3 other courses (computer science advised)
• Minimum average of 70%
Analyst, consultant, database and information system programmer and manager, education, graduate studies, Internet programmer, network manager and analyst, programmer, software designer and developer, communication research, website programmer and designer...
Relevant graduate study opportunities at Laurentian:
Credit transfer opportunities are available from other recognized postsecondary institutions and are typically evaluated on an individual basis. Some fast-tracking opportunities also exist.