Canadian sport leaders and Laurentian professors designed this unique Honours Bachelor of Commerce degree in Sports Administration (SPAD) that has evolved into the premier sport management program in Canada. What makes the SPAD degree distinctive is a curriculum that combines an extensive exposure to the functional areas of business with a theoretical foundation and practical experience in sport management, strong ties to industry and an extensive alumni network covering professional and amateur sport throughout North America. All of this together with a Business degree, makes SPAD the leading program for all future sport managers in Canada. The SPAD Curriculum ensures that students are exposed to sport management, key business theory and industry experience throughout the four years of the program:
• Four-year program leads to an Honours Bachelor of Commerce in Sports Administration (H.B.Comm. SPAD)
• First year introduces sports administration, financial information and business statistics, and an understanding of management science and economics
• Second year focuses on delving further into management principles with courses in accounting, finance, human resources, sport marketing and operations management
• In the third year of the program, course content and student experience focus on applying business principals to the sport industry with courses in sport finance, sport law, sport media, championship selling (view video for further information) and communication together with elective courses from human kinetics and other disciplines
• After third year, students embark on a 4 to 8 month internship with a sport organization or business, designed to provide them with in-depth industry experience before graduation. Students have interned for Toronto Maple Leafs, Hockey Canada, Toronto FC, Vancouver 2010, London 2012, Scottish Aquatics, Ottawa Senators, San Diego Chargers, Georgia State Games, IMG, TrojanOne, Under Armour, Toronto Blue Jays, Toronto Raptors, Quiksilver, Edmonton Oilers.
• When students return to campus for the final fourth year term, the curriculum focuses on final preparation for graduation and industry employment through special sport management courses as well as a major sport consulting trip where students present solutions to real problems faced by sport organizations. On past trips, students have consulted on projects for the NY Mets, NJ Nets, NY Knicks, Los Angeles Kings, Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, Belfast Giants, Stanford Athletics, Miami Heat, San Diego Chargers, Oakland Athletics, Sport Canada, International Olympic Committee and many others.
Connect with SPAD Online
First-year course overview
COMM 1006/7 – Management of Organizations I & II
COMM 1057 – Introduction to Management Science
COMM 1106 – Using Financial Information
COMM 1107 – Introductory Accounting II
ECON 1006 – Introduction to Microeconomics
ECON 1007 – Introduction to Macroeconomics
SPAD 0100 – Colloquia
SPAD 1016/17 – Introduction to Sports Administration I & II
STAT 1056 – Statistics for Business
Admission requirements based on Grade 12 4U/M courses:
• 1 English
• 2 maths
• 3 other courses
• Minimum average of 75%
Professional sport organizations and leagues, international, national and provincial sport organizations, sport sponsorship agencies, athlete representation agencies, business corporations, non-profit organizations, athletic apparel companies...
Credit transfer opportunities are available from other recognized postsecondary institutions and are typically evaluated on an individual basis. Some fast-tracking opportunities also exist.